Sunday, August 9, 2009

Not Yet

It's Sunday morning and there isn't really a departure time near in site. It's easy to dwell on the inconviences and lonliness in the midst of chaos; after all practically living in a hospital is far from hospitable. But the Lord reminded me: YOUR BABY IS ALIVE, rejoice! I've sadly watched two families have to start thinking about funural arrangements instead thinking about car seats, baby clothes and cribs. Their babies looked to have had very similar problems to Jamin, don't know for sure of course due to patient confidentiality. I need to be spending my thoughts praising Him not nagging Him!

Jamin still needs level 2 care, the remaining hurdles are to calm down his breathing rate, get the junk out of his lung and chest, and be strong enough to fully feed himself. Breaths per minute are down to *only* double what they need to be and he can feed himself about 40% of what he needs. By the way level 2 care means that he needs monitoring and assitance for basic functions, pretty much what most of the babies in the NICU are, *just* sick. Level 3, which he was at for 8 days, is critical, pretty much cannot preform any basic funcions without constant assistance. Level 1 is when baby is stable and is monitored to make sure he/she can endure basic tasks of everyday life, such as ride in a car seat. Baby needs to be totally self sufficient with basic functions for approx. 48 hours before discharge.

While it is a bummer that he is not well enough to thrive at home, the fact that we will eventually take him home is the biggest blessing we could ask for! God is good, no matter what the outcome could have been with this situation, but oh how wonderful it is that he spared our precious little Jamin!

6 comments:

Aly sun said...

Amen. Makes us appreciate so much. Thanks for the update. Still praying for Jamin's recovery and patience to wait for you!

Sara said...

Yes, it's easy to dwell on the minor (comparatively) negatives sometimes and miss the huge miracle right in front of us. Even without knowing any more details, I'm saddened for the other two families you mentioned. What a horrible, awful thing to lose a child. Thank you, Lord, for giving Jamin life and please continue to heal his little body.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

You probably don't remember us - we used to attend EBC - but moved to Montana just over 4 years ago - still we get updates from the church family - and are with you in prayer. We are so happy to be praying for patience in a time of waiting, and not for comfort in a time of grief. Jamin is just beautiful - hang in there! Doug and Leah Johnson (and family)

Applejacks32 said...

We are still praying for you all Kelly!!!! I am so glad that there is progress, however slow it may be!

Jeannette said...

I am praying for you, John and Kelly. You are also on my church's pray list. Every time I hold my little grandson, Ben, (almost daily) I think of you going through this crisis with Jamin, and pray for healing for him and patience for you. God be glorified in this trial. Jeannette

Unknown said...

HI Kelly. I'm a friend of the Peter's and attended EBC since I was about 5. I live in Texas and I have been and will be praying for you. I don't understand the hurt and confusion that you are going through..but I will pray that you have a blanket of peace and that God will let this season pass quickly. I'm sorry. I'm sending you my love and thoughts (even though I'm not sure if we've met). michelle (nesbitt) silva