Saturday, March 21, 2009

And on the 8th day HE created sports

January and February was monumental for our family. Our first child participated in his first sports season, the first of approximately 42 in his lifetime.(not counting on college, but that would be awesome!) 1 down 168 to go! (4 children x 3 sports a year (min.) x 14 years) I've been waiting for this since jr. high. Huh? you ask, well I disliked math with my whole heart and I asked all of my teachers trough the years all of the time how this will apply to my life in the future, you know, being a "soccer mom". Really nothing past the 7th grade has been used, I knew it was just a waste :) ANYWAYS I know I have a biased opinion but Josh was just plain 'ole impressive in his first basketball season; all but his jumping jacks, can't seem to get the arms and legs going opposite directions just yet. Pee Wee basketball is for 4-6 year olds to learn the basics put on by college students through the Monmouth/Independence YMCA. He understands the game really well, in fact that lead to many-a-tears to his fellow teammates. You see, Josh knows what defense is and how to play it, so when they first were scrimmaging he would strip the ball from the offense and take off towards the opposite hoop, traveling immensely but he got the idea. After making him apologize to his sad opponent on several occasions, he learned that until he gets bigger defence is just having you hands up like your going to take it away form them, but don't actually do it yet. He averaged about 2 successful hoops a practice in shooting drills and scrimmages. Although it was only 1 hour twice a week for two months, it was definitely the highlight of his winter months... and the beginning of my "soccer mom" journey!

1 comments:

Aly sun said...

You are raising a fine athlete. He is SO cute. How long can I say they about a budding sport's star? Maybe a aunt can always think so.